Kenya

Kenya
My reading companion of 17 years, Kenya

Monday, August 26, 2019

Philadelphia's Writers' Conference - June 2019






This summer I was fortunate to attend three writers' conferences.  That's right -  not one, not two but three.  I'm a lucky person.

My first one was the Philadelphia Writers' Conference (PWC) held June 7-9 in the historic district of Philadelphia.  It was three days of high energy, great information, and comradery.  The speakers had a vast array of knowledge and the presentations were rich with details and useful information.  All the session I attended were good but I went to 3 exceptional ones.





Elements of Plot 1 & 2 sessions: Shirley Hailstock, gave a great presentation on both days.  I took copious notes and she has suck a vibrant way of talking and such high energy that the time just flew by.  Thank you Shirley Hailstock: http://shirleyhailstock.net/







Social Media and Personal Branding: Jonothat Maberry.  I'm on FB, Twitter and have a few blogs but I find it all confusing and time-consuming so I look for help whenever I can get it.  This session was very helpful and I am using some of his suggestions.  He's a really good speaker and was very likely in his presentation.  I am grateful for the information he gave us in the session.  He has a wonderful website with some freebies on it and a great example of a query letter. Thank you Jonothan Mayberry:  http://www.jonathanmaberry.com/


This is the Year You Write Your Memoir:  Lori Tharps.  I've read memoirs, Glass Castle, being my favorite but I never really thought of writing one until this session.  Ms. Tharps had all of us engaged with interesting writing exercises and I was amazed how much I enjoyed it.  She went over how you should approach writing a themed memoir and a woman who she is working with shared with us a folder and post it notes that helped her keep things organized.  Thank you Lori Tharps:  https://www.loriltharps.com/.


I enjoyed this conference immensely.  It was help at the Wyndham in Center City and it's price was within reason but I'm not sure people know about it.  It had a lower attendance than it should have given the quality of its presenters and the various levels of sessions offered.  Thank you to the PWC Board for putting together such a great conference.




No comments:

Post a Comment