Kenya

Kenya
My reading companion of 17 years, Kenya

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

International Women's Writing Guild (IWWG) Summer Conference - 2019

https://www.iwwg.org/
My next writing conference for the year was with a group of which I'm a member: IWWG.  It was held in July at the Muhlenberg College in Allentown Pa.  When registering you could decide to stay for a week or just do the weekend.   


There were many remarkable elements of this conference, but the overwhelming component that gave this event its uniqueness was comradery among the attendees.  We were like-minded creatives willing to help one another plus many of us stayed in the dorms at the college.  This was the first time I had ever stayed in a dorm and my three roommates and I became good friends by the time the weekend was over.






The next incredible surprise was the delicious and sensational food prepared by the college staff.  I had no idea there were colleges with that type of food.  It was way above anything I bought in the cafeteria of my college. There were signs in the restaurant displaying awards bestowed on the college chef for the tasty dishes.


With all that being said, the real draw was the variety of presentations offered and the level of expertise available for the different topics.  The main categories were:  Poetry, Fiction, Nonfiction, Memoir, Mixed Media, Multi-genre, Publishing, Screenwriting & Performance. Fiction and Nonfiction Critique sessions were also available.

I attended many presentations over the weekend but I think the most beneficial one was The Five Senses of Fiction given by Yun Wei. In each session we worked on how to bring the reader into the story by incorporating a specific sense into the story.  The workshop made me more aware of how smell and taste can help build a scene and a character's emotional response.  Thank you Yun Wei.

IWWG is a treasure trove available to those who want to improve or indulge their creative souls.  If you are one of those creative souls you will want to check out their upcoming and ongoing events:  https://www.iwwg.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment