Kenya

Kenya
My reading companion of 17 years, Kenya

Saturday, March 2, 2019

Tucson Festival 2019

 Great day today at the Tucson Festival.   The festival is a full weekend of everything book related: great for writers, great for readers, great for publishing houses and a great time for agents to discover new talent.  The first workshops/presentation at began at 10:00am and the last starts at 4:00pm.  Thousands of book lovers attend this festival.


 As a writer I attend as many craft workshops I can.  While some workshops are ticketed, many of them are free.  Over the years I have been to at least 20 and they have all been worthwhile.

Whack Wordiness, Decluttering your Writing was my 10:00 workshop.  I couldn’t pass it up.  As a professional designer I often help clients embark on the task of decluttering the rooms in their homes.  I tealished learning from Barbara McNichol the secrets to decluttering my writing.
She did not disappoint.  Thank you Barbara.

I stopped by Arizona Star Tent to listen to advise about freelancing from Michael Perry.  He is very enthusiastic when he talks.  I think he was born to be on stage.  He offered good advise and offers more on his web page www.seasoned cows.  I will be sure to check that out when I get back.

My favorite session was Fom a Certain Point of View.  All 4 authors were energetic and offered solid information regarding POV in a very entertaining manner.  The hour presentation seemed like 20 minutes.  One noteworthy take away:  3 out of the 4 authors prefer writing in multiple POVs.  It is generally believed that readers prefer one point of view formats yet all these authors have sold a good number of books.  I prefer to write with miltiple POVs so I found this encouraging.

I am on the road back home now with a few more books and plenty of good information.  If you have never attended this festival I suggest you put it on your calendar for next year.  I promise you won’t regret it. It is always held in March.

A special thank you to the Changing Hands Bookstore for providing bus transportation along with some breakfast treats.  Both Adam and Alissa did a great job in entertaining the bus load of book lovers and in keeping things running smoothly.


No comments:

Post a Comment