Kenya

Kenya
My reading companion of 17 years, Kenya

Monday, November 4, 2013

Stephen King's On Writing



"Writing is refined thinking." I love that line from Stephen King's On Writing.  This short book is filled with quotable lines but I think that is the one which resonates the most with me.  Since I don't read Stephen King's novels I wasn't sure if I'd like this book, but I was so wrong.  It turns out I just loved it both for its information and its honesty.  This is not your typical 'how-to' book on writing.

In traipsing through  his gagged childhood memories, Stephen King shares with us the many experiences that enabled him to be the writer that he is today. He did not walk a straight line from point A to point B,  but all the unplanned events that happened along the way changed his perspective and offered fodder for his creative, story-telling style.

While the first part of this 228 book is about his discovery of himself as a writer,  the second part is about the fundamentals of the writing craft.   The nuts and bolts of his writing process begins behind close doors and ends when the doors to his den are open for viewing.  He has published about 40 bestsellers  so when he suggest that you stay away from the 'passive voice' and that 'the adverb is not your friend', you may want to give it some thought.






No comments:

Post a Comment